We discuss on a regular basis the kitchen management techniques that are applied in relation to the costs, recipe management, waste, purchasing and menu planning of a food operation.
How often do we apply the same detail to the capability of our teams?
No single person is an army and the team behind the menu both front and back of house are key to a successful and sustainable operation. We should work with our teams and set in place an communication and follow up system with team members to encourage them to self-action and personally develop in line with a group communication strategy.
All plans are different and are bespoke to each organisation, but the core detail follows the guidelines below, so if you don’t have a communication strategy , you could apply some of the following actions.
• Act as a positive role model through individual performance.
• Show support for and commitment to organisational goals in day-to-day work performance.
• Interact with team members in a positive and professional manner.
• Develop team commitment and cooperation.
• Develop and clearly communicate short, medium and long-term plans and objectives consistent with organisational goals in consultation with the team.
• Communicate expectations, roles and responsibilities of team members to encourage them to take responsibility for own work.
• Encourage teams and individuals to develop innovative approaches to work.
• Identify and reward individual and team efforts and contributions.
• Model and encourage open and supportive communication within the team.
• Seek and share information from the wider business environment with the team.
• Represent team interests in the wider environment.
• Seek feedback from team members and implement changes within the bounds of organisational goals and policies.
• Delegate tasks and responsibilities, identify barriers to delegation, and implement
• processes to overcome them.
• Evaluate team member skills and provide opportunities for individual development.
• Monitor team performance to ensure progress towards achievement of goals.
• Provide mentoring and coaching to support team members.
• Motivate individuals and teams to achieve optimum performance.
• Provide recognition and rewards for team achievements.